Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Father, My Hero, My Friend....

Strength, Loving, Honor, Compassion, Integrity, Humor, Laughter, Charity, Respect, Generous in word and deed....the list could go on for miles. These words are only a few that describe the man I call Father, Dad, Daddy. He may not have a flowing cape and the fancy tights to go with the title of Superman but that is exactly how I've always seen my Father. I have never known a man that I respect more than my Dad. I have never known someone who is a harder worker or more giving of what is most precious, his time.

My favorite memories with my Dad are the ones of working out in the yard, him allowing me to plant the tiny pink corn seeds with him, holding the tiny trees as he planted them in the back 40. Going on one of his work field trips eating cherry cordials and listening to John Denver's country road take me home. Putting in my sprinkler system in Tooele with Mom as our gopher. I used to beg to come along with him on his exercise walks around the block, the block being a couple of miles, and he would just listen to me blabber about my life, ya know really listen to me. I don't know, maybe he was going deaf back then and maybe that's how he tolerated me and my gabbing, either way it meant the world to me. I knew I could always confide in my Dad and always knew he was there to help me, protect me and keep me safe. I remember him teaching me to dance, the waltz was one of the first he taught me. He gave me my love of drama, of writing silly plays, having a sense of humor, a love of writing. I always loved sitting around the piano with Candy and my Dad singing those old hippie songs from the 70's. He has set high standards for me concerning the men in my life, Britt has certainly felt the pressure.:)


I have been so greatful for the example he has set for my man, my husband Britt. Giving him an example of a righteous priesthood holder, a patient husband who dotes on his wife (yes, he even putting linoleum in his new shed to please my Mother.:)), a jack of all trades who isn't scared to tackle anything and everything. That is one thing I know I got from my Dad, is that I have no fear to do something I put my mind to. My Dad always believed in me and trusted me for some crazy reason I still don't know why. When he and I get together to do some crazy cock eyed project I am suddenly fearless and somehow we pull it off.


One of my favorite things to do in the world is to do a project with my Dad. His calming presence boosts my spirits when I am down. He has always come to my rescue, always been my night in shining armor. My Dad is amazing, I can't even explain how amazing he is, I wish I could somehow describe how great he is, you'll just have to take my word on it.


So Dad on Father's day, I hope you know how much I love you. Britt, the same goes for you, I am so glad you are my companion and my friend. I love watching you take Avery fishing, seeing you two camp out in the back yard and call me on the cell phone as I watch from the window in the comfort of my soft bed. I love you! Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

The Larsen Gang said...

Nicole-You have such a good Dad. I have always had the upmost respect and admiration for him and your mother. I remember many times just hanging out around you kitchen table and being entertained by you dad. I remember the skit he and his bishopric put on...i think it was ammon and the arms...with the nylone arms they made. Oh, man, that was hilarious. You are very blessed to have such wonderful parents.